The following position has come up within our Bloemfontein Offices:
JOB TITLE: Editor
EDUCATION: 3-year Diploma / Degree in Journalism / Communication /
Media Studies and/or relevant journalistic experience
EXPERIENCE: Have at least:
- 6 years’ experience in Journalism / Communications;
- 4 years’ experience as Senior Journalist / Assistant Editor / News Editor / News Manager
Be able to function effectively within a multi-media environment
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Execute (Identify, find, present) content strategy for the monthly Get It Magazine as well as any other publications where required.
- Review and approve copy before publication to ensure conformity with accepted rules of grammar, style and format, accepted news values and news angles, coherence of story, accuracy, legality, style and probity of content.
- Deliver required content to the Get It Bloemfontein website.
- Deliver news reports, commentaries, articles, and column and/or feature in-depth stories for the primary product as well as secondary media products, if required.
- Liaise with the public and clients, and handle enquiries regarding the content of the product.
- Internal and external complaints regarding editorial content to be diverted to the General Manager.
- Archiving of all magazines content as well as any other special projects.
- Liaise with sales, marketing and management in executing the strategy of the business.
- Attend functions and build on existing and create new relationships with stakeholders.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES & REQUIREMENTS:
- Be in possession of a valid code B driver’s license as well as own transport
- Have an extensive general knowledge of especially news, lifestyle matters and current affairs
- Excellence in identifying news trends and finding original content
- Experience in multimedia news delivery (broadcast, print, digital)
- Have exceptional communication, writing and editing skills in both English and Afrikaans
- Be able to work under extreme pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent organisational skills
- Leadership skills
- Be able to think out of the box
- Photographic Skills and knowledge of News photography
- Have a background in print
- Have an extensive contact network
- Be active on Social Media (Facebook and Twitter)
CLOSING DATE: 16 July 2019 at 10h00
Interested applicants are requested to apply with a comprehensive CV to Nthabiseng Leeuw via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (include the job title Editor in the subject line). Applicants not contacted within 30 days after the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful.
Mahareng Publishing (Pty) Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The appointment will be made in line with Mahareng Publishing’s Employment Equity requirements.